Today is the day!
Chelsea and I came in to plug in the final video and make sure everything was perfect before practicing and finalising the speech. We were happy with the work overall and all of the components worked well to convey the story we are trying to tell.
The speech was a nice and presise way to summerise our semesters work, so we were able to remember our process and how we got from our begining idea of a genre study of tech noir to the climate change installation work we had at the end. We were also reminded by all the works that influenced us (especially Olafur Eliasson, Hayden Fowler and Chris Wainwright) and how their works specifically influenced our choices in using the ice, the distopian setting for our original idea and the red light.
We were also able to talk about the choice of the sound, for both a performance tactic (to bring the audience over so they can interact with the clock) but also as the reasoning for white noise is caused interference, which encapsulates the entire backbone of our piece which the two of us loved. We also talked about why we decided to use a time lapse rather than a real time video (it was more engaging) and why the clock was used (it filled in our missing peace for a physical thing in the space, but the flipping also shows time passing at a fast rate, similarly to the ice melting; they are both metaphors for global warming)
Both Jo and Mat were pleased with the work and only had a few things to nitpick on or change. They liked the time lapse, but thought that the videos should be longer, and perhaps they shouldn’t ‘come back’ after melting, which we immediately agreed upon after Mat pointed out that it takes away from the meaning of the piece. They also suggested maybe extending the time lapse to around 20 minutes rather than 25 seconds to show the passing of time more slowly, and it might be beneficial to use to use a few different videos rather than just the one. Both Chelsea and I thought that these were solid critiques. Jo and Mat both want us to try and connect an Arduino to the computer so that when the audience comes close to the projection, the ice melted faster. This is an idea that we had talked about wanting to try and achieve, but we talked to Glenn and he seems to think that the amount of coding required for this is too hard for the two of us to do in the week and a half before Grad Show, and we aren’t using a computer anymore, were using a blu-ray player.
They also suggested the placement of the clock could be different as the sensor on the clock isn’t strong enough to pick up anything further away than 1 metre. Mat suggested that we place it on a coffee table, so that we moved it off the plinth and it looked less like a “History museum exhibit” Chelsea and I were talking about this afterwards and we still haven’t figured out a different place, so we will have to work on it.
We were also told to perhaps light where the audience would stand, which Chelsea and I were hitting ourselves over as it is such a small detail but such a needed addition to the work.
We took all these comments in and immediately began discussing how we could change it for the Grad Show. Overall, Chelsea and I are incredibly happy with what we ave achieved over the past semester, and are excited to perfect it even more for the Grad Show!